Despite 2017 being the warmest February on record, we are still in the grips of winter as another round of snow appears to be on its way to South Central PA. FirstEnergy meteorologists are closely monitoring the storm track and we are preparing for a significant snowfall across the Met-Ed service area.
We want to remind our customers to prepare in advance for possible power outages. Some steps they can take include:
- Keep a flashlight and extra batteries handy. Use care when burning candles; open flames are a fire hazard.
- If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or fill your bathtub with fresh water.
- Stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
- Keep a battery-powered radio with extra batteries on hand.
- Make sure cell phones and devices are fully charged to ensure you have access to online information sources.
- If you have a back-up generator, be sure you know how to use it safely.
Customers who experience an interruption in their electric service should call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) to report their outage or click the “Report Outage” link on our website www.firstenergycorp.com. Immediately report downed power lines to Met-Ed or the local police or fire department, and never go near a downed power line, even if you think it is no longer energized. Just because it’s not sparking does not mean it is dead. Don’t try to remove trees or tree limbs from power lines. Wait for utility crews to arrive.
Updates on current outages, FirstEnergy’s storm restoration process and additional tips for staying safe are provided on our 24/7 Power Center website at www.firstenergycorp.com/outages.