Stay safe – Make sure your family knows how to detect natural gas, and what to do when it’s detected.
Use your senses to detect a natural gas leak:
Smell: Rotten egg odor
Hear: A hissing, whistling or roaring sound near a gas line or appliance
See: A damaged connection to a gas appliance, or dirt or water being blown into the air
If you recognize any of these situations:
- Leave the area immediately
- From a safe location, call 911 and our 24/7 gas emergency number at 1-888-460-4332
- Wait for our crew and emergency responders to arrive
- Don’t light a match or candle
- Don’t operate anything that could cause a spark, including cell phones, lights, appliances, flashlights, power tools, etc.
- Don’t open windows and doors to attempt to ventilate
- Don’t try to find the leak yourself or operate pipeline valves
From all of us at Columbia Gas, please stay safe and enjoy your summer!